In Part I of this blog post, we spoke of the first 5 important tips to be a successful therapist. Choose your trainer wisely, be genuine, be professional, learn by experience and hygiene and responsibility. Let us continue to the next 5 guidelines that will help you down your career path.
6. Learn to Market Yourself – Learn the tricks of the trade, keep your eyes open for opportunities and be creative in marketing yourself. If possible undergo training in communication and marketing in the industry. Your trainer may be able to help you with it.
7. Exercise Mindfulness – Each client will have a unique response to your therapies. Remember their responses for future reference. Notice their reactions during the therapy and change your techniques accordingly. Anticipate the need of the client and they will appreciate your thoughtfulness. More than anything else, people need to feel cared about. A therapist and client relationship should be a professional but caring one. Be empathetic towards the client and mould the techniques accordingly. Avoid being mechanical just because you do the therapies day-in-day-out. Understand that you are healing a person, not just treating them for the sake of earning money.
8. Challenge yourself – Monotonous work does make the mind dull, but you should keep the interest alive in the job. Read, research, take refresher courses and keep learning. Remain updated of the latest developments on the industry and health.
9. Network – Attend conferences and workshops and participate in discussions on social media. It not only helps increase your knowledge base, but also is useful to increase business. Do not consider others as competitors. They are all in this field because they want to heal people. Keeping this in mind, if you maintain good, honest relations with others, they are sure to reciprocate. Friends in the same field can help and guide each other out in times of need.
10. The Power is in your hands – Whether you are a hired therapist, freelancer, spa/ salon owner or even learning a therapy just for the sake of hobby, the power to uplift yourself is in your own hands. There are abundant opportunities out there to learn, grow and diversify. Do not allow yourself to become lax and follow what everyone else in the industry is doing. Be original and pour your heart and soul in everything you do.
Writer: Mr. Pinakin Shah, Founder & Trainer at Pristine Senses Academy
To learn more about Pinakin Shah's Pristine Senses Academy, click here.